Thursday, January 13, 2011

Something on my mind...

One year ago this week I started my studies here at St. Joseph College Seminary. Two years ago I would have never guessed I would be where I am today. God does work in mysterious ways. This past school year I have been teaching fourth, fifth, and sixth grade kids the catechism at a parish not far from my house. I get to spend two hours with the kids every Sunday morning and together we learn who Jesus is. I love talking about my faith and being able to share, not only my faith, but also my knowledge of our faith with these youth really brings a lot of joy into my life.

Since I started teaching at this parish I have grown closer with the associate pastor, Fr. Mike. During this past Advent Fr. Mike asked me if I would come and talk to the kids that go to the parish school about my vocation story. Apparently, this week is national vocations awareness week (no one told me). So these past three days I have been speaking to all the fourth-eighth graders about vocations to religious life and specifically my vocation story. On Wednesday I was talking with the eighth graders and one of the students asked me if I ever shared my vocation with any of my friends or family before I decided to attend seminary. I did not.

I have always been a private person. I am actually so private that my closest friends will tell you that I’m not private at all. When I was thinking about priesthood there were only four people that I told. One of them was actually my girlfriend at the time. But after I told them I never wanted to talk about it with them. While I was explaining this to the student that asked the question I started to think about what my formation director said to us: “No one can begin to think about their vocation unless you plant the seed.” So maybe if I were more open about my vocation that would help increase vocations? I’m not sure but that is why I am now an official blogger.

Our Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI, has asked that priests and religious use the media to their advantage to evangelize and catechize. The same goes for the laity, religious education directors, youth ministers, deacons, and seminarians! This is my way of using the media to not only tell my vocation story but also to share and document my journey to Priesthood, if that is where God is leading me. I have had priesthood on my mind for a long time but I never thought I would actually try it out. I guess I really made God laugh all those years when I told him MY plans. My mother always told me I could put a smile on any ones face. I just didn’t think I was funny enough to make the omnipotent God “LOL”.

So, if you care to follow me on my journey you are more than welcome to. Please be assured that I will not only post boring seminary ramblings or theological jargon. I will post anything and everything that relates to my journey. Be it a funny story, some pictures, video, and yes…maybe a little theology every now and then. I am very unpredictable so be ready for surprises. I have never blogged before so give me time to get used to this. I am a very conversational writer, I have bad grammar, and I can’t spell to save my life. So sit back, relax, and pray for my brother seminarians, all Priests, myself, but more importantly pray for an increase in vocations.

Peace.

3 comments:

  1. nice dom!
    :) Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi D.J., Can you believe I'm on your blog. I'm not even on Faacebook, nor do I think I ever will be, but I'm glad Daniel let me read your very very nice blog about your journey to Priesthood. I love you and hope you continue to write. Talk to you soon. Love, Colleen :)

    ReplyDelete