Saturday, January 22, 2011

Pre- Game

This weekend, instead of watching the Chicago Bears stomp all over the Packers, my fellow brother seminarians and I will be participating in the national March for Life in Washington, D.C. We will be attending the vigil mass for life at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception on Sunday night and then march through the streets on Monday. This is my first time attending this event. I will be taking plenty of pictures and maybe some videos to post after we get back Monday night along with my own thoughts on the event.

I would like to point out that the pro-life movement is not just for the unborn. If you are truly pro-life we should be standing up for all people who are losing their right to life and those who feel don't have a right to life such as men and woman sentenced to death by a jury, the thousands of teens and adults killed every year by gun violence, those who are persecuted by their peers, and those who take their own life. We, as members of the pro-life movement, have a greater responsibility than just to the unborn. I feel sometimes we forget that.

Here are some stats on how many people either don’t treasure their own life, don’t treasure other people’s lives, and those who had their right to life taken away from them here in the United States:

  • Suicide (2009) 1,110,000 people took their own life.
  • Executions (2010) 46 people had their life taken away from them.
  • Abortions/ Murders (2009) 1,225,241 had their life taken away from them.

Please keep all those traveling to Washington, D.C. this weekend in your prayers, but more importantly, please pray for those who are persecuted, executed, murdered, and for the unborn. I have provided a prayer if you would like to use it.

Lord God, I thank you today for the gift of my life,
And for the lives of all my brothers and sisters.
I rejoice that you have conquered death
by the Resurrection of your Son.
I am ready to do my part in ending these immoral acts.
Today I commit myself
Never to be silent,
Never to be passive,
Never to be forgetful of those who lose their right to life.
I commit myself to be active in the pro-life movement,
And never to stop defending life
Until all my brothers and sisters are protected,
And our nation once again becomes
A nation with liberty and justice
Not just for some, but for all.
Through Christ our Lord. AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment